What is Psychological Testing?
Psychological, psychoeducational, or neuropsychological testing may be recommended for you to better understand factors that may be impacting your functioning. Results from testing can help clarify diagnosis, develop an appropriate treatment plan, and/or determine appropriate accommodations to increase success at work or school. Not all patients require testing to determine diagnosis or drive treatment but your providers may suggest this as part of their integrated approach. Testing is also often commonly requested by outside referral sources such as schools, other physicians or workplaces.
Why Do I Need Testing?
Some common purposes for assessment include:
- Learning and developmental disorders (ADHD, Learning Disorders, Developmental Delays )
- Mood disorders
- Personality functioning
- Behavioral problems
- Neurological issues such as Memory loss, Seizures, Stroke, Dementia
- And more
What to Expect
Our assessment process includes three parts, conducted over three separate appointments:
- Clinical interview: The clinical interview involves a semi-structured interview with the patient. A parent or other support person can also be involved, if appropriate. The purpose is to collect background information, identify the question(s) that will be considered in the testing, and provide information about the assessment process.
- Testing: During the testing session, the patient and provider will meet for 3 to 4 hours to collect data from a variety of standardized assessments. Testing may also include observer report measures completed by a parent, teacher, or spouse to provide additional information about symptom presentation.
- Feedback Session: Our licensed psychologists interpret the assessments and summarize the results into a report. During the feedback session, the patient and any support people they choose to be present will provide additional input, ask questions, and review the report. A finalized report will be provided on your patient portal after the appointment.
For more information on psychological assessments, review our FAQ sheet here.
We’re currently welcoming new patients and referrals!
Take advantage of the expertise provided by our providers and thought leaders in cutting-edge behavioral health services.
Want more information? Check out all of our services we are currently offering!